To study with me call (212) 837-1397, submit the contact form (sidebar) or Skype me.
I’ve been teaching for most of my adult life in some form or another. I have been teaching privately for over 20 years and have taught classroom courses, lectures, workshops and masterclasses for Greensboro College, The John Coltrane Jazz Society, The Harbor School for Performing Arts and The New School, among others. I am an Apple Certified Trainer and spent two years teaching for Apple, where I not only taught the basic curriculum for adult and beginner learning in addition to advanced software and hardware concepts, but designed, implemented and taught numerous workshops on subjects as varied as file management, music production, and photography.
What I Can Teach You:
- EWI setup and troubleshooting
- Computer setup and installation for live or studio application
- System optimization for live performance or studio integration
- Building a customized EWI rig for performance or studio
- Logic Pro for use with wind synthesis
- Reason for use with wind synthesis
- Working with Rewire
- Basic to advanced sound design for Logic’s ES2 and EXS24 softsynths (as well as others, i.e., Reason, Native Instruments synths etc.)
- Implementing breath control in Logic’s softsynths (as well as others, i.e., Reason, Native Instruments synths etc.)
- Practice techniques for learning to play the EWI
- Technique exercises and approaches for the EWI for performance
- Performance project design and layout
- MIDI integration of additional devices in your setup
- Extensive programming in the Logic environment
I tailor every lesson to the individual student – there are no formulaic approaches. We work together to assess your needs and to grow your skills and abilities with the instrument and the underlying technology. My goal is to help you attain YOUR highest level of creativity with your tools by the most efficient way possible.
Why Study With Me
- I know my stuff and won’t waste your time. But if I don’t know the answer to your needs, I’ll tell you immediately. And then we’ll find that answer together. The best relationship you can have with a student or a teacher is one built on honesty and integrity. I promise you both from the beginning.
- I’m a pro. I’ve been a performing, professional musician for almost 30 years. My work is grounded in reality, not theory, and comes from years of standing on stage and learning the “old-school” way what does and doesn’t work. I make my living as a performing musician, so I take music, and the understanding of my tools, very very seriously. I bring that same level of commitment to my teaching.
- I teach because I want to, not because I must. I make my living elsewhere, so teaching for me is an exercise in returning the gifts to others that I have been so fortunate to receive from the wonderful teachers I’ve had in my life.
If you want to improve your EWI playing, work on your programming chops, study Logic or just grasp a better understanding of how all of these fit together and can be used as a performance tool, study with me is an efficient and cost effective way to do so. I can help you realize your creativity and work with your tools more efficiently and at greater depth. Ultimately this will lead to greater enjoyment by YOU of these tools and the creativity they engender.
I believe in truth in advertising. Here’s what I charge and what you’ll get for that money. If you have questions or need further clarification, call me at (212) 837-1397, email me from the contact form (sidebar), or Skype me.
- Initial consultation, approximately 1/2 hour – $25
- In the consultation, we will establish your goals, and talk about your needs and the things you want to learn and tailoring a course of study specifically for you. We’ll also establish lesson times and dates and troubleshoot any issues we may encounter with Skype.
- First lesson – approximately 1.5 hrs – $100
- Often the only lesson needed is the initial session. In this lesson we’ll address your most pressing issues and dive into working on what you want/need to learn. This includes assignments for followup work and materials for further study
- Further study - approximately 1.5 hrs – $75
- For continuation of your studies beyond the initial lesson, a lesson plan that is tailored to you and is dynamically flexible and adaptable as your goals and needs change.
- Consultation, Initial lesson and four additional lessons for $300 prepaid.
- That’s a savings of 25% ($125) off the regular rate.
All lessons are delivered via Skype or in person in New York City.
All lessons are paid in advance via PayPal. Protects you. Protects me.